Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

(An Irrevelent Rant of An Ambiguous Old Man)...

(An Irrevelent Rant of An Ambiguous Old Man)...When my father was sick and hospitalized , I moved back in the family home so that my mother  would not be alone.  On selected days of the week I drove her to the hospital and on the other days I went alone.  There were those who said my reasoning was trying to get close to my mother so I could get control of her money.  I like my father and mother and several of my brothers have never flaunted the availability of wealth,  not even  the size of my stock holdings.  

When he was first hospitalized many religious zealots appeared in the hospital corridor and prayed the prayer of Faith.   I often went to the hospital expecting to see him walking around and talking.  When his condition worsens and was transferred to a nursing home the visits soon ceased.   There was no ministerial staff to comfort my mother , nor was there a list of volunteers waiting to sit with her.   She bore her grief and many nights during his long sickness, I would hear her cry out.   Many times I interrupted the serving of breakfast to wipe tears from her eyes.  I remember the last time I saw my mother cry.

During the long days I become known as the young man who sit by his father beside in the nursing home and sang,  "Father along we will know all about it" I knew and accepted that the time of his departure was at hand, and I promised my father that I would sing at his home going.
On the day of his memorial services, men of high honor and dubious distinctions took to the podium to lavish praise and honor  as if it would bring comfort to my mother's bleeding heart. 

My mom waited for that moment at the close of the service when I would sing my farewell song to my father, her plans were to assist me as much as she could.  At the last minute from the  Podium the program was changed. 

"I never sung for my father. "

No comments:

Post a Comment